The COVID-19 pandemic has impacted us all in some way. Many of our friends and family have lost jobs. Students have been forced into online learning. Medical workers are at the front line fighting against the spread of the virus. Everyone is stressed and nervous. Many of us have lost control of our daily routines and being stuck at home isn’t all that fun.
In my experience, routines are important. They help us get through the day and get necessary work done. I’ve found that I do my best work when I have a set routine. When this pandemic hit the U.S., I lost all of my routines. All of my classes went online, I had to stop going to work and my internship. Luckily, I’m able to do some assignments for my jobs at home but nothing is the same. Adjusting to online classes is something I’m still working on.
All these sudden changes come with a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s okay to feel sad, angry or scared. But we always have to try to work towards the things that make us happy and give us purpose. Whether that be school or our jobs.
These past few weeks, I have found some ways to keep myself sane and productive during this time. So, here’s my advice:
- Take some time to yourself. Watch a movie, read a book or catch up with family or friends. Do the things that make you feel the most happy and calm. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health. Talk about your feelings with someone you trust and know that someone is always willing to listen and help.
- Make To-Do lists
- If you’re working from home or taking online classes, make to-do lists! Use Google Calendar, a planner or even a sheet of paper to write down everything you need to do in a day or during the week. This will help you know every task you have to do and when you should have it done by.
- Plan out your days
- Plan out the things you want to do in the morning, afternoon and evening. This can help you keep busy and feeling productive. You’ll know what to do and when to do it.
- If you’re not working from home or going to school, still find time to do the things you love. Get back to some old hobbies, plan what you want to do a few months from now or read and learning something new! Again, do the things that bring you the most happiness and fulfillment.
- Also, if your mental health isn’t putting you in the best mood, still give yourself small tasks to do. Even the smallest of tasks like taking a shower or making your bed. It’s okay to not be okay, but still try to make daily plans.
- Don’t forget to plan off days
- We all need off days. Days where we aren’t doing anything work or anything school related. Make time for loved ones and fun activities. Even make time for lying in bed doing nothing.
This pandemic has hit our society hard. Above all, it’s important to care for ourselves mentally, physically and emotionally. We have to care for each other. We’ll get through these difficult times. So, keep busy and stay clean!
2 thoughts on “Finding yourself again during the COVID-19 pandemic.”